- Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/kazakhstan) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and articles.
- Caravanistan (www.caravanistan.com) Extensive information on attractions, obscure sites, and visas. Can book tours all over the country as well.
- Edge (www.edgekz.com) Interesting background articles on Kazakhstan.
- Visit Kazakhstan (www.visitkazakhan.kz) Official tourism website.
- Advantour (www.advantour.com) Useful tips and detailed info on attractions by Uzbekistan-based agency.
- Make the effort to get beyond Kazakhstan's cities to the beautiful mountain, steppe or desert country, and the hospitality of rural homestays and guesthouses. Side trips to Aksu-Zhabagyly Nature Reserve or Sayram-Ugam National Park are easy.
What to Take
- High-altitude sickness pills if planning on hiking in the Tian Shan range, plus trekking poles.
- Reading material in English, as it can be hard to come by.
- A wide-brimmed hat for the summer and good, DEET-infused insect repellent.
What to Wear
Shorts and light, loose-fitting clothing are fine for the summer. If coming to Kazakhstan in spring, be aware that the winter winds in Nur-Sultan can still be viciously cold, so bring a down jacket and scarf. If planning on heading up to high altitudes, bring warm clothing and good hiking boots.
- If looking to hike in the Altay or visit the Baykonur Cosmodrome, make arrangements well in advance.
- Order any prescription medicine you may need.
- Get the recommended Tick-Borne Encephalis vaccine if planning on trekking in forests in the summer.