When to Go
High Season (Apr & May, Aug)
- Weather in April and May is generally fantastic; August is hot and humid but the season for summer festivals.
- Accommodation is pricey and hard to find during cherry-blossom season (late March to early April), Golden Week (early May) and O-Bon (mid-August).
Shoulder (Jun & Jul, Sep–Dec)
- June and July fall in rainy season (except Hokkaidō); typhoons roll through in September.
- Prices and crowds increase in resort areas during autumn foliage season (November).
Low Season (Jan–Mar)
- Cold days and snowy mountains make this peak ski season, but affordable and uncrowded elsewhere.
- Many businesses close over the New Year period (end December to early January).