Budget: Less than ¥8000
- Dorm bed: ¥3000
- Bowl of noodles: ¥750
- Happy hour beer: ¥500
- City one-day subway pass: ¥600
- One temple or museum entry: ¥500
- Double room at a business hotel: ¥10,000
- Dinner for two at an izakaya (Japanese pub-eatery): ¥6000
- Half-day cycling tour or cooking class: ¥5000
- Temple and museum entries: ¥1500
Top End: More than ¥20,000
- Double room in a nice hotel: from ¥25,000
- Dinner for two at a good sushi restaurant: from ¥15,000
- Taxi ride between city sights: ¥2500
Bargaining is not common practice in Japan; flea markets are an exception, but a hard approach would still be considered rude.
All of the four main islands have a post office with an ATM that accepts international cards.