The biggest threat to travellers is Japan's general aura of safety. It's wise to keep up the same level of caution and common sense that you would back home.
- In certain nightlife districts with underground sex and/or drug industries, travellers may be harassed or solicited. These include Roppongi and Kabukichō (Tokyo), Susukino (Sapporo) and Nakasu (Fukuoka).
- Avoid touts or anyone who offers to 'help' you in such neighbourhoods, as the end result may be extortion.
- In the event of a non-emergency situation, in which you would like to consult with the police, call 9110.
Government Travel Advice
The following government websites offer travel advisories and information on current hot spots.
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs (www.smartraveller.gov.au)
- British Foreign Office (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice)
- US State Department (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html)