Sardinians are a laid-back, friendly lot on the whole, meaning there are very few formalities to observe.
- Hospitality Accept offers of a glass of wine, beer or mirto when offered.
- Culture Win the affection of locals by finding out about Sardinia, for instance that Grazia Deledda was a Nobel Prize winner and that ex-Chelsea-manager Gianfranco Zola is Sard.
- Dress Don't go around dressed scantily for the beach in mountain areas where people can be quite conservative.
- Language Remember that Sardo is not a dialect of Italian; it is a separate language.
- Greetings Shake hands and say buongiorno (good day) or buona sera (good evening) to strangers; kiss both cheeks and say come stai (how are you) to friends.