Drinking & Nightlife
- Gatsby Café Fantastic coffee, cocktails and uber-chic retro vibe in an upcycled 1950s hat shop.
- Spirito Fashionable cocktail bar hidden, speakeasy-style, in the back of a Pigneto sandwich shop.
- Sciascia Caffè Classy joint serving the unparalleled caffè eccellente, a velvety smooth espresso in a chocolate-lined cup.
- Barnum Cafe Cool vintage armchairs to sink into by day and dressed-up cocktails by night.
- Open Baladin Craft beer and pub vibe in the centro storico.
- La Casa del Caffè Tazza d’Oro With lovely burnished 1940s fittings, great coffee and, in summer, granita.
- Sciascia Caffè Delicious coffee in an elegant interior.
- Caffè Sant'Eustachio Historic cafe famous for its world-beating coffee.
- La Casetta a Monti Uber-cute cafe behind a foliage-draped facade in Monti’s cobbled heart.
- Barnum Cafe Laid-back drinking in casual, vintage surrounds.
- Antico Caffè Greco Old-world elegance at Rome's oldest cafe (1760), by the Spanish Steps.
Terraces & Gardens
- Terrazza Caffarelli Enjoy stunning views from the Capitoline Museums’ panoramic cafe.
- Zuma Bar Possiby the most glamorous rooftop bar in the whole of Rome.
- Stravinskij Bar Hotel de Russie's elegant bar, with courtyard garden backed by Borghese gardens.
- Il Palazzetto Terrace with five-star views over the comings and goings on the Spanish Steps.
- Caffè Ciampini Graceful summer cafe with vintage garden-party vibe and tables beneath orange trees.
- La Bottega del Caffè Balmy al fresco action year-round on one of Rome's prettiest squares.
- Il Sorì Gourmet wine bar and artisan bottegha (shop) with wine tastings and 'meet the producer' soirées.
- Il Goccetto An old-school vino e olio (wine and oil) shop makes for a great neighbourhood wine bar.
- Bibenda Wine Concept Modern wine bar with a good choice of regional Italian labels.
- Litro A drinking-dining hybrid with savvy sommeliers and the finest selection of biodynamic wines in the city.
- Ai Tre Scalini Buzzing enoteca that feels as convivial as a pub.
- Freni e Frizioni Perenially cool bar with lavish nightly buffet of snacks.
- Gatsby Café Gourmet aperitivi in a retro, 1950s-styled cafe-bar in Esquilino.
- Doppiozeroo Popular Ostiense address with impressive buffet choice.
- Momart Students and local professionals love the expansive array of pizza and other snacks.
- Pimm's Good Pimms cocktails, generous complimentary nibbles and party-loving bar staff in Trastevere.
- Zuma Bar When the urge for a posh cocktail on a designer rooftop beckons.
- Bar San Calisto Linger over cheep beer on Trastevere's loveliest pavement terrace.
- Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà Pint-sized bar crammed with real-ale choices.
- Open Baladin More than 40 beers on tap and up to 100 bottled brews.
- Be.re Craft beer flows at this modern Vatican newcomer.
- Birra Più Pigneto hub, with a great range of craft beers on tap.
- BrewDog Roma Hit the beer and stumble out to Colosseum views.
To See & Be Seen
- Zuma Bar Swish cocktail bar with weekend DJ sets on the rooftop terrace of Palazzo Fendi of fashion-house fame.
- Etablì Chic bar near Campo de'Fiori, filled with vintage French furniture and laid-back cool.
- Salotto 42 A sitting-room-style bar, offering cocktails facing the ancient Roman Stock Exchange.
- Co.So World-class craft cocktails with a former Hotel de Russie mixologist in Pigneto.
- Spirito Cocktails with the cool set in a Pigneto speakeasy.
- Rivendita Libri, Cioccolata e Vino Cream-topped shots served in chocolate shot glasses (bags of fun) in Trastevere – the place to be after 10pm.
- Lanificio 159 Cool underground venue hosts live gigs and club nights.
- Yeah! Pigneto Pigneto bar with live gigs and DJs in Rome's most boho district.
- Anticafé Roma Laid-back spot where you pay for your time not what you drink.
- Circolo Illuminati Wildly popular Ostiense club on the international DJ club circuit, with an underground vibe and star-topped courtyard garden.
- Vinile Food, music, dancing and party happenings on the southern fringe of Ostiense.
- Goa Rome's serious superclub, at home in a former motorbike repair shop in industrial-styled Ostiense.