Southern Italy in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Customs Regulations

Goods bought and exported within the EU incur no additional taxes, provided duty has been paid somewhere within the EU and the goods are for personal use.

Travellers entering Italy from outside the EU are allowed to import the following duty free: 200 cigarettes, 1L of spirits, 4L of wine (or 2L of fortified wine), 60mL of perfume, and other goods up to the value of €300 (€430 if travelling by sea). Anything over this limit must be declared on arrival and the appropriate duty paid.

On leaving the EU, non-EU citizens can reclaim any Imposta di Valore Aggiunto (IVA; value-added tax) on purchases equal to or over €155. The refund only applies to purchases made within the past three months in affiliated outlets that display a 'Tax Free for Tourists' or similar sign. You have to complete a form at the point of sale, then get it stamped by Italian customs as you leave.

Duty Free Allowances

Spirits & liqueurs1L
Wine4L (or 2L of fortified wine)
Other goodsup to a value of €300/430 (travelling by land/sea)


All passports should be valid for at least six months beyond your departure date from Italy.

Technically, all foreign visitors to Italy are supposed to register with the local police within eight days of arrival. However, if you're staying in a hotel or hostel you don't need to bother as the hotel will do it for you – this is why they always take your passport details.

By law you are supposed to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.


Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days (or at all for EU nationals); some nationalities need a Schengen visa.

More Information

For up-to-date information on visa requirements, see

EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Italy. Nationals of several other countries, including Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the USA, do not need visas for stays of up to 90 days in Italy.

Other people wishing to visit Italy have to apply for a Schengen visa, which allows unlimited travel in Italy and 25 other European countries for a 90-day period. You must apply for a Schengen visa in your country of residence and you can not apply for more than two in any 12-month period. They are not renewable inside Italy.