Campania in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

  • EU and Swiss citizens can travel to Italy with their national identity card alone. All other nationalities must have a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the length of stay in Italy.
  • By law you should have your passport or ID card with you at all times. You'll need one of these documents for police registration every time you check into a hotel.

Customs Regulations

Visitors coming into Italy from non-EU countries can import the following items duty free:

Spirits & liqueurs1L
Wine4L (or 2L of fortified wine)
Cigarettes200 (or 50 cigars)
Other goodsup to a value of €430 for air/sea travellers (€300 for other travellers)


Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days (or at all for EU nationals); some nationalities need a Schengen visa.

More Information

Italy is one of 26 member countries of the Schengen Convention, under which 22 EU countries (all but Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania), plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, have abolished permanent checks at common borders.

Legal residents of one Schengen country do not require a visa for another. Residents of 28 non-EU countries, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the USA, do not require visas for tourist visits of up to 90 days (this list varies for those who want to travel to the UK and Ireland).

All non-EU and non-Schengen nationals entering Italy for more than 90 days, or for any reason other than tourism (such as study or work), may need a specific visa. For details, visit or contact an Italian consulate. You should also have your passport stamped on entry as, without a stamp, you could encounter problems when trying to obtain a permesso di soggiorno (residence permit). If you enter the EU via another member state, get your passport stamped there.

Study Visas

Non-EU citizens who want to study at a university or language school in Italy must have a study visa. These can be obtained from your nearest Italian embassy or consulate. You will normally require confirmation of your enrolment, and proof of payment of fees and adequate funds to support yourself. The visa covers only the period of the enrolment. This type of visa is renewable within Italy but, again, only with confirmation of ongoing enrolment and proof that you are able to support yourself (bank statements are preferred).