When to go and weather
High Season (Jul–Aug)
- Queues at big sights and on the road, especially in August.
- Prices also rocket for Christmas, New Year and Easter.
- Late December to March is high season in the Alps and Dolomites.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun & Sep–Oct)
- Good deals on accommodation, especially in the south.
- Spring is best for festivals, flowers and local produce.
- Autumn provides warm weather and the grape harvest.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- Prices up to 30% lower than in high season.
- Many sights and hotels closed in coastal and mountainous areas.
- A good period for cultural events in large cities.