Enjoy and taste the street food in the old markets of Palermo observing people, products, colors and characters from another time. The smells and the flavors will accompany you during three unforgettable hours.
ItineraryThis is a typical itinerary for this productStop At: Mercato del CapoThe Capo Market is the best and traditional old market in Palermo. Here you find only local fruit, vegetables, meat and fish. Here we stop to taste the street food of Palermo.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Cattedrale di PalermoThe Cathedral of Palermo is the most important monument of the “Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedrals of Cefalù and Monreale” site inscribed on the World Heritage List of UNESCO on 2015.The Cathedral of Palermo was founded by Gualtiero Offamilio, archbishop of the town from 1169 to 1190. It was a mosque in Islamic times and converted into a cathedral church by Roberto the Guiscardo after the conquest of Palermo. Its exclusive elements are the inlays and the architectural and sculptural plastic that reflects the penetration of Romanic art and the first Gothic decorative taste in Sicily.Duration: 15 minutesStop At: Quattro CantiQuattro Canti, or Vigliena square, is the name of the octagonal square in the intersection between the two most important streets in Palermo: via Maqueda and Cassaro (corso Vittorio Emanuele). Ancients sources refers about it as “Octagon” or “Sun’s Theatre”, because during the daylight almost one of the façades is lighten by the sun. The “Four Corners” were realized from 1609 until 1620. The shape of the square is an octagon and it’s placed in the middle of the ancient city as a perfect point of connection between the four most important districts of that period which are: Kalsa, La Loggia, Capo e Albergheria. The four façades of the buildings have four different levels. In the lowest one it is possible to see the fountains as the symbols of the four old Palermo’s main rivers: Oreto, Kemonia, Pannaria, Papireto; in the next level are shown the allegories of the four seasons represented by Eolo, Venus, Cerere and Bacchus; the middle part is decorated by the statues of Carlo V, Filippo II, Filippo III, Filippo IV; and in the last order there are the illustration of the four saints of Palermo before the arrival of Saint Rosalia (1624): Agata, Ninfa, Oliva e Cristina.Duration: 10 minutes