If your Italian and German are up to it, try the following newspapers:
- Corriere della Sera (www.corriere.it) Italy's Milan-based leading daily.
- La Repubblica (www.repubblica.it) A centre-left daily.
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung (www.nzz.ch) German-language Swiss newspaper of record, known for its objectivity and detailed reporting.
Tune into state-owned Italian RAI-1, RAI-2 and RAI-3 (www.rai.it), which broadcast all over the country and abroad. Milan-based left-wing Radio Popolare (www.radiopopolare.it) is good for its biting social commentary and contemporary music.
- Turn on the box to watch the state-run RAI-1, RAI-2 and RAI-3 and the main commercial channels – Canale 5, Italia 1 and Rete 4 – mostly run by Silvio Berlusconi’s Mediaset (www.mediaset.it).
- Switzerland has numerous channels that broadcast in Italian, German and French, but you can usually pick up CNN in most hotels.