Homosexuality (over the age of 16) is legal in Sicily. The gay scene is centred on cities including Catania, Taormina and Palermo. In rural areas, attitudes remain largely conservative.
Large pride parades take place annually in Palermo (www.palermopride.it) and Catania (www.cataniapride.com) – in mid-June and early July, respectively.
Online resources include the following (all in Italian):
- Arcigay (www.arcigay.it) Italy's largest gay organisation, with branches in Catania (www.arcigaycatania.com), Palermo (www.arcigaypalermo.wordpress.com), Syracuse, Agrigento and Messina.
- Coordinamento Lesbiche Italiano (CLR; www.clrbp.it) The national organisation for lesbians, holding regular conferences and literary meetings.
- Gay.it (www.gay.it) Website featuring LGBT news, feature articles and gossip.
- GuidaGay (www.guidagay.it) Details on gay-friendly bars, clubs, beaches and hotels.
- Pride (www.prideonline.it) National monthly magazine of art, music, politics and gay culture.
- Spartacus World (www.spartacusworld.com) Lists male-only venues all over Italy.