Cut queueing time to see David by buying tickets in advance online for the Galleria dell'Accademia; October to March, cut costs by visiting the first Sunday of the month when admission is free.
- Aperitivi with view When the crowds get too much, retreat to the elegant rooftop cafe of the Museo degli Innocenti for an aperitivo. There is no finer time to enjoy the sweeping panorama from this 'secret' terrace than at dusk when the sun turns the city pink.
- Hangouts Whatever the time of day, uber-cool concept store and bistro La Ménagère is the hot spot to hobnob with Florentine hipsters; this all-round hybrid is a great breakfast spot too.
- Serious Steak Florence has always been synonymous with beautifully blue T-bone steaks and San Marco squirrels away the city's finest, most fashionable, contemporary steakhouse: Regina Bistecca.
- Gelato Follow the local crowd to San Marco's sweetest artisanal gelateria My Sugar.
- Shopping Forget the cheap leather stalls ensnaring the Mercato Centrale; the neighbourhood squirrels away some quirky independent fashion boutiques like Midinette and Mrs Macis; Street Doing is the address for designer vintage.