Entry & Exit Formalities
Most articles you take into Sardinia for personal use can be imported free of duty and tax. The following allowances apply to duty-free goods purchased in a non-EU country. In addition you can bring in other products up to a value of €430.
- Alcohol 1L spirits (or 2L fortified wine), 4L still wine
- Other goods 60mL perfume, 16L beer, 200 cigarettes
- Cash Up to €10,000
- EU and Swiss citizens can travel to Italy with their national ID card alone. People from countries that do not issue ID cards must carry a valid passport. All other nationalities must have a full valid passport and may be required to fill out a landing card on arrival in Italy.
- If you are flying to Sardinia via the Italian mainland, all customs and immigration formalities will take place at the mainland airport. The Sardinian leg of your journey will be considered an internal flight.
- You should carry your ID card or passport when travelling on internal flights or ferry crossings.
- Technically all foreign visitors to Sardinia are supposed to register with the local police within eight days of their arrival. However, if you are staying in a hotel, the hotel does this for you – which is why they always take your passport details.
Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days (or at all for EU nationals); some nationalities need a Schengen visa.
- Italy is part of the Schengen area. There are no customs controls when travelling between Schengen countries, so the visa rules that apply to Italy apply to all Schengen countries.
- The standard tourist visa for a Schengen country is valid for 90 days and allows unlimited travel within the entire Schengen zone. You must apply for it in the country of your residence and you cannot apply for more than two in any 12-month period. They are not renewable within Italy.
- EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Italy. A valid ID card or passport is sufficient.
- Nationals of some other countries, including Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland and the US do not need a visa for stays of up to 90 days.