The Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju is one of the most important archaeological sites in Sardinia since it has one of the largest and oldest complex of artificial caves, used by different cultures from 4200 to 1800 BC. about. Discovered casually in 1903 and explored in subsequent excavation campaigns until 1967, the necropolis includes 38 domus de janas located near a stream, the Rio Filibertu. The rock, limestone sandstone, facilitated the excavation of the tombs, by means of rudimentary lithic picks, but limited its regular development especially in height. These tombs are of two types: • in the cockpit (older) with irregular floor plans; • corridors (more recent) normally arranged in T or in a radial pattern.
The architecture of the tombs is often enriched with details inspired by the houses of the living (steps, pillars, frames, false architraves, false doors, false windows, etc.), taurine horns, engravings and reliefs in the larger rooms, probably funeral ceremonies.The findings found have returned archaeological materials of the Culture of Ozieri (4200 - 3400 BC) that attest to the first moments of use; subsequently many sepulchers were reused along the entire arch of the Eneolithic (3600 - 2100 BC). The domus de janas, sealed outside with lithic manhole covers, revealed collective burials of individuals placed above all in the supine position; however, there are no secondary depositions (remains of skeletal skeletons), examples of bodies in a fetal or ruined position and rare cases of semi-cremation.The dead were buried with useful and expensive objects in life, ornaments in stone and shell, vases, lithic or bronze weapons and female idols. In addition, remains were found that testify to the use of funeral meals inside the cells and at the entrances.