The Temple of San Biagio was built by Antonio da Sangallo the Elder, illustrious architect from Florence, between 1518 and 1545. Located in the middle of a sprawling meadow outside the town, the church is considered a masterpiece of 16th century Tuscan Renaissance architecture. The Church of the Madonna di San Biagio, with a Greek cross plan, central dome and semicircular apse, is flanked by two bell towers, of which only the one on the left was completed accomplished. It is entirely covered in travertine stone.Inside, the only wall with numerous decorative elements is the one corresponding to the main altar where there is a large marble dossal at the centre of which a fresco depicting the Madonna and Child and St. Francis is inserted.In front of the church is the harmonious building of the rectory, with two beautiful loggias, executed around the 1550.
Visit: Tempio di San Biagio, Montepulciano, TuscanyDiscover the masterpiece of architect Antonio da Sangallo the Elder, where the Val d'Orcia merges into the Val di Chiana. Montepulciano (province of Siena), whose palaces, churches, and town planning reflect the High Renaissance in a kind of open-air museum, has often been called the "pearl of the 16th century." In particular San Biagio church is considered one of the most perfect examples of High Renaissance architecture. Don't forget to add it to your itinerary! Please note that: • This is not a guided tour • There is not a meeting point • Ticket includes use of audio guide (25 minutes). • Free Admission for children under the age of 6