Located in the heart of Florence, the Accademia Gallery hosts examples of paintings and sculptures by the great 14th and 15th century masters who made Florence the capital of art. The most famous work exhibited is the marble statue of David made by Michelangelo.
Founded in 1784 upon Grand Duke Leopoldo of Lorena's decree, La Galleria dell'Accademia was created to host a collection of antique and modern paintings and sculptures so the students of the nearby Accademia di Belle Arti could pursue their studies in the light of these great masterworks. The Accademia Gallery is situated in parts of the former convent San Niccolò in Cafaggio and the hospice of San Matteo.The Accademia Gallery visit begins with the Sala dell'Anticolosso, where the gesso original of The Rape of the Sabines (1582) by Giambologna is placed. Some paintings such as Christ of Pity by Andrea del Sarto and the Deposition of the Cross by Filippo Lippi can be seen here. From here you reach the Galleria dei Prigioni, a corridor that hosts a series of incomplete sculptures by Michelangelo.
At the end of the gallery reigns supreme Michelangelo's David.