Israel is generally a very safe place to travel and violent crime against tourists is extremely rare. However, the country has some unique challenges visitors should be aware of.
- Use hotel safes where available. Don't leave valuables unattended, particularly on the beach.
- Be careful when visiting border regions, particularly those close to Syria and Lebanon or between Israel and the West Bank.
- Keep your eye on the news and don't be afraid to ask at your hotel or hostel for advice.
- Always avoid demonstrations, particularly in Jerusalem, which can quickly descend into rioting.
- If you are asked about the political situation, be aware that feelings run high and discussions can quickly get heated.