St Joseph’s Church

Church in Nazareth

Across the courtyard and a grassy park from the upper level of the Basilica of the Annunciation, this neo-Romanesque Franciscan church, built in 1914, occupies a site believed by popular tradition to be that of Joseph’s carpentry workshop. It was constructed on top of the remains of a Crusader church. Down in the crypt, signs explain the in situ archaeological excavations.

Advertisement