History

Jisr is named for a stone bridge over adjacent Al Wadi Az Zarka (the Blue River), constructed for the visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1898. Jisr Az Zarka was founded in the 1830s by families from Egypt who came to Palestine along with the forces of Egyptian ruler Muhammad Ali (1769–1849). Thanks to a history of good relations with nearby Jewish villages, it emerged unharmed from the 1948 war.