go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Working and volunteering


Volunteering opportunities are limited, but there are projects where you can lend a helping hand.


EEA citizens are entitled to work legally in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Non-EEA citizens with an Irish parent or grandparent are eligible for dual citizenship (and the right to work), although this procedure can be quite lengthy – enquire at an Irish embassy or consulate in your own country.

Full-time US students aged 18 and over can get a four-month work permit for Ireland, plus insurance and support information, through Work & Travel Ireland.

Most Commonwealth citizens with a UK-born parent are entitled to work in the North (and the rest of the UK) through the 'Right of Abode'. Most Commonwealth citizens under 31 are eligible for a Working Holidaymaker Visa: valid for two years, it allows you to work for a total of 12 months and must be obtained in advance. Check with the UK Border Agency (www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration) for more info.

Want to Live & Work in Ireland Teaching English? Partner Content

If you’d like to spend more time in Ireland than a vacation allows, experiencing what it’s like to live and make a difference to the local community, it’s all possible by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) with i-to-i TEFL. No previous teaching experience or local language knowledge is necessary. Get your free i-to-i TEFL e-book now to find out more about TEFL, what TEFL jobs are available and how it can get you exploring the globe...

Get your free TEFL e-book and find out how to start a new life in Ireland