Ireland in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Dublin is the primary point of entry for most visitors to Ireland, but you can also fly into Shannon or Belfast.

  • The overwhelming majority of airlines fly into Dublin.
  • For travel to the US, Dublin and Shannon airports operate pre-clearance facilities, which means you pass through US immigration before boarding your aircraft.
  • Dublin is home to two seaports that serve as the main points of sea transport with Britain; ferries from France arrive in the southern ports of Rosslare and Cork.
  • Dublin is the nation's rail hub.

Customs Regulations

Both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland have a two-tier customs system: one for goods bought duty-free outside the EU, the other for goods bought in another EU country where tax and duty is paid. There is technically no limit to the amount of goods transportable within the EU, but customs will use certain guidelines to distinguish personal use from commercial purpose. Allowances are as follows:

Duty-free For duty-free goods from outside the EU, limits include 200 cigarettes, 1L of spirits or 2L of wine, 60mL of perfume and 250mL of eau de toilette.

Tax and duty paid Amounts that officially constitute personal use include 3200 cigarettes (or 400 cigarillos, 200 cigars or 3kg of tobacco) and either 10L of spirits, 20L of fortified wine, 60L of sparkling wine, 90L of still wine or 110L of beer.


Not required by most citizens of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada.

Further Information

If you're a European Economic Area (EEA) national, you don't need a visa to visit (or work in) either the Republic or Northern Ireland. Citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the US can visit the Republic for up to three months, and Northern Ireland for up to six months. They are not allowed to work, unless sponsored by an employer.

Full visa requirements for visiting the Republic are available online at; for Northern Ireland's visa requirements see

To stay longer in the Republic, contact the local garda (police) station or the Garda National Immigration Bureau. To stay longer in Northern Ireland, contact the Home Office (