Attractions

Historic Building in Killarney National Park

Muckross House

This impressive Victorian mansion is crammed with fascinating objects (seventy per cent of the contents are original). Portraits by John Singer Sargent adorn the walls alongside trophy stags heads and giant stuffed …
Ruins in Killarney National Park

Muckross Abbey

This well-preserved ruin (actually a friary, though everyone calls it an abbey) was founded in 1448 and burned by Cromwell's troops in 1652. There's a square-towered church and a small, atmospheric cloister with a g…
Park in Killarney National Park

Knockreer House & Gardens

Killarney House, built for the Earl of Kenmare in the 1870s, burned down in 1913; the present Knockreer House was built on the same site in 1958 and is now home to a national park education centre. It isn't open to …
Castle in Killarney National Park

Ross Castle

Lakeside Ross Castle dates back to the 15th century, when it was a residence of the O'Donoghue family. It was the last place in Munster to succumb to Cromwell's forces, thanks partly to its cunning spiral staircase,…
Island in Killarney National Park

Inisfallen

The first monastery on Inisfallen (the largest of the lake's islands) was founded by St Finian the Leper in the 7th century. The extensive ruins of a 12th-century Augustinian priory and an oratory with a carved Roma…
Museum in Killarney National Park

Muckross Traditional Farms

These re-creations of 1930s farms evoke the sights, sounds and smells of real farming – cow dung, hay, wet earth and peat smoke, plus a cacophony of chickens, ducks, pigs and donkeys. Costumed guides bring the tradi…
Park in Killarney National Park

Killarney National Park

Enclosed within Killarney's 10,236-hectare (25,280-acre) national park are beautiful Lough Leane (the Lower Lake or 'Lake of Learning'), Muckross Lake and the Upper Lake, as well as the Mangerton, Torc, Shehy and Pu…
Waterfall in Killarney National Park

Torc Waterfall

This 20m-high waterfall cascades picturesquely down a series of rock steps, just a short walk from a car park on the N71 south of Killarney.