Glendalough attractions

Top Choice Christian Site in Glendalough

Glendalough Monastic Site

Nestled between two lakes, haunting Glendalough (Gleann dá Loch, meaning 'Valley of the Two Lakes') is one of the most significant monastic sites in Ireland and one of the loveliest spots in the country, centred on …
Church in Glendalough

St Kevin's Kitchen

Glendalough's trademark is St Kevin's Kitchen or Church, at the southern edge of the monastic site. This compact structure, with a miniature round-tower-like belfry, protruding sacristy and steep stone roof, is a ma…
Church in Glendalough

Reefert Church

The considerable remains of Reefert Church sit above the tiny River Poulanass, south of the Upper Lake car park. It's a small, plain, 11th-century Romanesque nave-and-chancel church with some reassembled arches and …
Ruins in Glendalough

Cathedral of St Peter & St Paul

The Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul, just southeast of the Round Tower at the Glendalough monastic site, has a 10th-century nave; the chancel and sacristy date from the 12th century.
Visitor Centre in Glendalough

Glendalough Visitor Centre

The visitor centre beside the Glendalough monastic site has a high-quality 20-minute audiovisual presentation called Ireland of the Monasteries.
Tower in Glendalough

Round Tower

The 10th-century Round Tower at the Glendalough monastic site is 33m tall and 16m in circumference at the base. The upper storeys and conical roof were reconstructed in 1876.
Monument in Glendalough

Deer Stone

At the junction with Green Rd as you cross the river just south of the Glendalough monastic site is the Deer Stone, set in the middle of a group of rocks. Legend claims that when St Kevin needed milk for two orphane…
Ruins in Glendalough

Teampall na Skellig

The original site of St Kevin's settlement, Teampall na Skellig is at the base of the cliffs towering over the southern side of the Upper Lake and accessible only by boat. There's no boat service to the site so you'…
Historic Site in Glendalough

Priest's House

At the centre of the graveyard at the Glendalough monastic site, to the southwest of the Cathedral of St Peter & St Paul, is the Priest's House. This odd building dates from 1170 but has been heavily reconstruct…
Monument in Glendalough

St Kevin's Bed

Just east of Teampall na Skellig, and 10m above the Upper Lake's waters, is the 2m-deep artificial cave called St Kevin's Bed, said to be where Kevin lived. The earliest human habitation of the cave was long before …