County Galway in detail
When to go and weather
- With its excellent restaurants, roaring pubs, cultural pursuits and student life, Galway city is a year-round destination, with a packed calendar of festivals.
- Elsewhere, in rural parts of the county, the months of April to October offer the best weather and fewest closures.
- Visitor numbers are highest and bookings hardest to come by in high summer (July and August).
- The shoulder seasons of May, June and September see fewer crowds.
- Moody in the depths of winter (when many establishments close), the Aran Islands may be unreachable during storms at any time of year.
- In scenic Connemara, many country inns close during the winter months, particularly December and January.