Opened in 1620, this atmospheric mustard-yellow pub once served the guards at neighbouring Bunratty Castle. Its warren of rooms is full of snugs, timber beams and peat fires, along with an astonishing collection of badges donated by firefighters, police and armed forces et al from all over Ireland and the world. Impressive food includes duck breast with black cherry sauce.

Superb castle and river views extend from the upstairs terrace.