When to Go
High Season (Jul–Aug)
- The driest months bring peak crowds.
- Pre-book accommodation where possible.
Shoulder Season (May–Jun, Sep)
- The weather is still generally dry, and the worst crush in the Gilis and Kuta can be avoided.
Low Season (Oct–Apr)
- Rains make the paths up Gunung Rinjani unsafe (they're closed from January to April) but surfing is at its best.
- Many festivals take place in this period: Perang Topat, Peresean stick-fighting competitions and Narmada buffalo races.
- Christmas and New Years bring a revival of high season prices (and crowds)