- South Lombok Superb white sands and brilliant blue waters perfect for swimming.
- Bukit Peninsula String of beaches in Bali's south that are famed among surfers and hip young travellers here to laze on the sand.
- Kei Islands Outlying islands comprising stunning sandy beaches and inviting turquoise sea.
- Banyak Islands Your quintessential tropical paradise: coconut trees, blinding white sand and gin-clear waters
- Mentawai Islands More famous for surfing and trekking, but the beaches here are simply sublime.
- Mentawai Islands West Sumatra's legendary waves are the promised land for surfing pilgrims worldwide
- Bukit Peninsula Bali's most famous surf spot, known for its big wave, with Ulu Watu at its forefront.
- G-Land Genuine bucket-list destination for surfers here to carve up its fast left-hander.
- Pulau Nias Quality barrels at left-hander Keyhole, among hundreds of other perfect breaks.
- Sumbawa Uncrowded waves and life-changing 10-second barrels, with Supersuck its most famed break.
- Gunung Leuser National Park Habitat for the Sumatran tiger, rhino and elephant, but it's the orang-utans that steal the show.
- Ujung Kulon National Park Seek out the elusive Javan rhinoceros and leopard in this Unesco-listed rainforest.
- Komodo National Park The land of the legendary Komodo dragon.
- Kerinci Seblat National Park Pristine mountainous jungle terrain offering gorgeous scenery and wildlife encounters.
- Tanjung Puting National Park The orang-utan-spotting is superb and you'll also see all manner of birds and reptiles.
- Wasur National Park A huge lure for birdwatchers, but also a unique place to to see marsupials.
Diving & Snorkelling
- Raja Ampat One of Asia's finest for underwater delights, with stunning diversity and an explosion of colours.
- Pulau Weh Super-chilled dive destination known for its variation and abundance of marine life.
- Nusa Penida Sun-fish and rays are the main drawcards to this relaxed, nontoursity Balinese island.
- Gili Islands Indo's most well-established dive scene is notable for its plentiful marine life, and is a popular spot to get certified.
- Derawan Archipelago Manta rays, pelagic fish and macro dives are what these Kalimantan islands are all about.
- Komodo Famed for its colourful corals, rays, sharks and drift dives.
- Baliem Valley World-class trekking among inspiring mountain vistas and traditional tribal villages.
- Cross-Borneo Trek Kalimantan's flagship trek is regarded as one of Asia's great adventures.
- Gunung Rinjani Providing it's not off-limits, this five-day trek up this sacred volcano is one of Indonesia's most epic treks.
- Tana Toraja A fascinating hike among isolated highlands to experience the traditional lifestyle of Toraja people.
- Kerinci Seblat National Park A full-scale jungle expedition passing through mountainous terrain that's home to Sumatran tigers.
- Mentawai Islands Making your way through the dense muddy forests of these far-flung islands to meet tattooed hunter-gatherer tribes.