Cheap SIM cards and internet calling make it easy to call from Indonesia at reasonable prices.
Most hotel wi-fi will allow at least some form of internet calling such as Skype to work. Mobile carriers often have an access code so you can make international calls over the internet for about US$0.03 per minute, or use a free app such as WhatsApp.
- Since April 2018 all new SIM cards bought in Indonesia must be registered. If you buy your card from an official store of a cell phone provider or at the airports in Jakarta or Bali, they will do it for you automatically.
- SIM cards start at 15,000Rp. They come with cheap rates for calling other countries, from around 5000Rp per minute.
- SIM cards are widely available and easily refilled with credit.
- Most official outlets offer deals where you pay 50,000Rp and up for a SIM card and credit.
- 4G networks are spreading across the nation, but speeds are slower than other countries.
- Data plans average about 40,000Rp for 1GB of data.
- Mobile numbers start with a four-digit prefix that begins with 08 and has a total of 10 to 12 digits.
|Indonesia country code||62|
|International call prefix||001/017|