Indian rupees (₹)
Budget: Less than ₹2500
- Double room in a budget hotel: ₹700–1200
- All-you-can-eat thali (plate meal): ₹80–300
- Transport: ₹200–600
- Double hotel room: ₹1500–4000
- Meal in midrange restaurant: ₹300–1000
- Admission to historic sights and museums: ₹200–800
Top end: More than ₹7500
- Deluxe hotel room: ₹5500–20,000
- Meal in superior restaurant: ₹1000–4000
- First-class train travel: ₹750–2000
- Renting a car and driver: per day ₹2000–3000
- Haggling is the norm in markets and in many tourist-oriented shops; the 'starting price' may be elevated by 50% or more.
- You will usually need to bargain for a fair fare in taxis and rickshaws, though the introduction of Uber and Ola taxi apps has eliminated this in many metropolitan areas.
- More upmarket shops charge fixed prices.
Citibank ATMS are best for withdrawing large amounts of cash with foreign cards in Tamil Nadu. Axis Bank, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and State Bank of India ATMs are other options.