Encashment Certificates

  • Indian law states that all foreign currency must be changed at official moneychangers or banks.
  • For every (official) foreign-exchange transaction you’ll receive an encashment certificate (receipt), which will allow you to change rupees back into foreign currency when departing India.
  • Encashment certificates should cover the rupee amount you intend to change back to foreign currency.
  • Printed receipts from ATMs are also accepted as evidence of an international transaction at most banks.