India in detail
- Dress Avoid offence by eschewing tight, sheer or skimpy clothes.
- Shoes It's polite to remove your shoes before entering homes and places of worship.
- Photos It's best to ask before snapping people, sacred sites or ceremonies.
- Feet Avoid pointing the soles of your feet towards people or deities, or touching anyone with your feet.
- Greetings Saying 'namaste' with your hands together in a prayer gesture is a respectful Hindu greeting; for Muslims, say 'salaam alaikum' ('peace be with you'; the response is 'alaikum salaam').
- Hands The right hand is for eating and shaking hands; the left is the 'toilet' hand.