Indian rupee (₹)
Budget: Less than ₹3000
- Dorm bed: ₹400–₹600
- Double room in budget hotel: ₹400–₹1000
- All-you-can-eat thali (plate meal): ₹100–₹300
- Bus/train tickets: ₹300–₹500
- Double hotel room: ₹1500–₹5000
- Meal in midrange restaurant: ₹600–₹1500
- Admission to historic sight/museum: ₹500–₹1500
- Local taxi/autorickshaw: ₹500–₹2000
Top End: More than ₹10,000
- Deluxe hotel room: ₹5000–₹24,000
- Meal at superior restaurant: ₹2000–₹5000
- First-class train travel: ₹1000–₹8000
- Hire car and driver: from ₹2000 per day
Bargaining is a way of life in many contexts in India, including at markets and most shops. Keep things in perspective: haggle hard but not without a sense of humour. There are also plenty of more upmarket shops and government emporiums where haggling is inappropriate, as prices are fixed. You'll usually have to agree to a price before hiring a taxi or autorickshaw, or a car and driver for longer trips.
A number of shops and hotels around Darjeeling can change cash at fairly good rates; shop around.
Poddar's Changes most currencies at decent rates with no commission.
Riddhi Siddhi Changes cash with no commission and makes credit-card cash advances.