Indian rupees (₹)
Budget: Less than ₹2500
- Double room in a budget hotel: ₹700–1200
- All-you-can-eat thali (plate meal): ₹80–300
- Transport: ₹200–600
- Double hotel room: ₹1500–4000
- Meal in midrange restaurant: ₹300–1000
- Admission to historic sights and museums: ₹200–800
Top end: More than ₹7500
- Deluxe hotel room: ₹5500–20,000
- Meal in superior restaurant: ₹1000–4000
- First-class train travel: ₹750–2000
- Renting a car and driver: per day ₹2000–3000
- Haggling is the norm in markets and in many tourist-oriented shops; the 'starting price' may be elevated by 50% or more.
- You will usually need to bargain for a fair fare in taxis and rickshaws, though the introduction of Uber and Ola taxi apps has eliminated this in many metropolitan areas.
- More upmarket shops charge fixed prices.
ATMs are everywhere, as are moneychangers around MG Rd.
TT Forex Changes travellers cheques and foreign currency.