Flights & getting there
Borgarnes is a major transit hub for Strætó buses throughout the region and to the Westfjords and North. You can also get between Reykjavík and the Snæfellsnes Peninsula (2½ hours) by changing in Borgarnes. All services are reduced in winter.
- Bus 57 Reykjavík–Akureyri runs through Borgarnes, Bifröst and Staðarskáli.
- Bus 58 connects Stykkishólmur–Vatnaleið (crossroads of Rtes 54 and 56)–Borgarnes.
- Bus 59 goes Borgarnes–Bifröst–Búðardalur–Skriðuland–Króksfjarðarnes–Hólmavík (on the Strandir coast of the Westfjords).
- Bus 81 runs from Borgarnes inland to Hvanneyri and Reykholt.
- Bus 82 connects Stykkishólmur–Vatnaleið (crossroads of Rtes 54 and 56)–Grundarfjörður–Ólafsvík–Rif–Hellissandur–Arnarstapi; from mid-September to early May it only goes as far as Hellissandur.
Baldur Car Ferry connects Stykkishólmur on Snæfellsnes Peninsula and Brjánslækur in the Westfjords (2½ hours), via Flatey Island (1½ hours), twice daily from June to August, and once Sunday through Thursday the rest of the year.