When to go and weather
High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Visitors descend en masse, especially to Reykjavík and the south. Prices peak; prebookings are essential.
- Endless daylight, plentiful festivals, busy activities.
- Highland mountain roads open to 4WDs from mid-June or later; hikers welcome.
Shoulder (May & Sep)
- Breezier weather; occasional snows in the highlands (access via mountain roads is weather-dependent).
- Optimal visiting conditions if you prefer smaller crowds and lower prices over cloudless days.
Low Season (Oct–Apr)
- Mountain roads closed; some minor roads shut due to weather conditions.
- Winter activities on offer, including skiing, snowshoeing and visiting ice caves.
- Brief spurts of daylight; long nights with possible Northern Lights viewings.
- New Year's Eve in Reykjavík is becoming a big tourist event.