Introduction

The sleepy village of Fáskrúðsfjörður (pronounced fouw-skruths-fjurther, and sometimes known as Búðir) was originally settled by French seamen who came to fish the Icelandic coast between the late 19th century and 1914. In a gesture to the local heritage, street signs are in both Icelandic and French.

The full story about the French in Fáskrúðsfjörður can be found at Fosshotel Eastfjords, a new development inside the sensitively renovated former French hospital and other buildings from the era.