When to go and weather
High Season (Jul–Aug)
- Summer is warm, sunny and unusually long throughout the country.
- Resorts at Lake Balaton and in the northern hills book out early; expect long queues at attractions and high prices.
- Hungary used to come to a grinding halt in August but nowadays there are lots of festivals.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun, Sep–Oct)
- Holidaymakers have gone home; prices drop.
- Spring is glorious everywhere, though it can be pretty wet in May/early June.
- Autumn is special in the hills; festivals mark the grape harvest.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- November is rainy; winter is cold and often bleak.
- Many sights reduce their hours or close altogether.
- Prices are at their lowest.