A village must for anyone interested in folk art, Tákos is 10km northeast of Vásárosnamény on Rte 41.
The 18th-century wattle-and-daub Calvinist church has a spectacularly painted coffered ceiling of blue and red flowers, a partly beaten-earth floor and an ornately carved 'folk baroque' pulpit sitting on a large millstone. Outside the church, which villagers call the 'Barefoot Notre Dame of Hungary', stands a perfectly preserved bell tower (1767). The keeper of the keys to this 'peasants' cathedral' lives at Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca 20.
The Provincial House, opposite the church, sells works by local craftspeople and local plum jam.
Down the road from the Calvinist church is the delightful guesthouse Baráth Vendégház.