Welcome to Half Moon Island
Crescent-shaped Half Moon, just 2km long, lies in the entrance of Moon Bay on the eastern side of Livingston Island. Here the Argentine navy operates the summer-only Cámara station (www.dna.gov.ar), built in 1953, and housing up to 36. Landings are usually made on the wide, sweeping beach east of the station. A handsome wooden boat lies derelict on the shore below the chinstrap-penguin colony. In 1961, 21 tourists were stranded here for three days when the landing craft from their chartered vessel Lapataia was damaged.