Information from G Adventures
There is a place in the Caribbean where the tourists don't go; a tropical, rugged place of waterfalls, secret caves, and mountains that scrape the sky. It's a place of bold flavours, intoxicating music, mischievous gods, and colourful art; where the only thing stronger than the rum is the spirit of the people who live there. It's a place where only true travellers go; a place for the brave and the curious. The name of that place? Haiti. This eight-day encounter draws back the veil on this extraordinary, vibrant, and indomitable nation. Experience the energy of Port-au-Prince, the colourful art of Jacmel, the iconic (and UNESCO-protected) Citadelle Laferrière, nurture the arts with at-risk children, and learn the folklore behind Haitian Vodou. Haiti has a future. Be a part of it.
- Your G for Good Moment: Art Creation Foundation, Jacmel Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group Your Foodie Moment: Rum Distillery Visit, Cap-Haïtien Your Foodie Moment: Kasav Making Demonstration, Cap-Haïtien
- Arrival transfer
- Citadelle Laferrière visit (Cap-Haïtien)
- Rum distillery visit
- Cap-Haïtien city tour
- Bassin-Bleu visit (Jacmel)
- Port-au-Prince city tour including Noailles at Croix-de-Bouquets artist communities, Iron Market, and Rezistans artists
- Internal flights
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Get familiar with the art culture of haiti
- Cool off in the turquoise pools of bassin-bleu
- Visit a foundation teaching arts to at-risk youth
- Learn about vodou culture and savour creole cuisine
Day 1: Port-au-Prince Arrive at any time. Included arrival transfer from the airport to the hotel.
Day 2: Port-au-Prince Enjoy an included city tour focusing on Haitian history, culture and the vibrant local arts scene. Visit the Iron Market (Marché en Fer). Meet a Vodou priest at Noailles and see the fascinating iron-working community of Croix-des-Bouquets. Fill up on Creole cuisine and culture along the way.
Day 3: Port-au-Prince/Cap-Haïtien Fly to Cap-Haïtien and visit the famous Citadelle Laferrière, a UNESCO-designated mountaintop fortress. After, visit the sugarcane fields and learn to make Haitian rum.
Day 4: Cap-Haïtien Enjoy a walking tour including the cathedral and main city market. Learn to make kasav, a traditional food of the native Taino people.
Day 5: Cap-Haïtien/Jacmel Fly back to Port-au-Prince and continue to Jacmel. This town is known for its vibrant art scene, carnival celebrations, and sandy beaches. Take a city tour focused on the art community here. Pop into artists' studios to view the local papier mâché creations and wander past colourful mosaics on every wall.
Day 6: Jacmel Visit the most famous attraction in the area, Bassin-Bleu. After a fun ride and a hike down hill, arrive at the natural blue pools and waterfalls. Jump in and cool off.
Day 7: Jacmel/Port-au-Prince Visit a local grassroots project, the G Adventures-supported Art Creation Foundation for Children. The program teaches at-risk children different types of traditional art while providing meals and a "second home". Enjoy a homemade meal here and learn about the great work this organization is doing. Travel back to Port-au-Prince for a final night with the group.
Day 8: Port-au-Prince Depart at any time.