Information from G Adventures
Picture it: Brightly-coloured masks and costumes, loud Caribbean music drifting through the air from large speakers on the backs of trucks, thousands of dancing revellers, and food stands with local fares and drinks – especially local rum – aplenty. This is Kanaval! Experience an authentic Caribbean carnival with loads of time left to explore the rest of the country on this nine-day tour. After watching the festivities in Jacmel, you’ll visit the Bassin-Bleu waterfall, the famous Citadelle Laferrière fortress, and even meet a Vodou priest, all while learning about (and filling up on!) Creole cuisine and culture along the way. Just say wi.
- Your G for Good Moment: Art Creation Foundation, Jacmel Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group Your Foodie Moment: Rum Distillery Visit, Cap-Haïtien Your Foodie Moment: Kasav Making Demonstration, Cap-Haïtien
- Arrival transfer
- Jacmel city tour
- Carnival parade viewing (Jacmel)
- Bassin-Bleu visit
- Citadelle Laferrière visit (Cap-Haïtien)
- Rum distillery visit
- Cap-Haïtien city tour
- Port-au-Prince city tour including Noailles at Croix-de-Bouquets artist communities, Iron Market and Rezistans artists
- Internal flights
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Celebrate carnival in jacmel
- Jump into the turquoise pools of bassin-bleu
- Visit a foundation teaching arts to at-risk youth
- Learn about vodou culture and savour creole cuisine.
Day 1: Port-au-Prince Arrive at any time in Port-au-Prince. Included airport transfer to the start hotel.
Day 2: Port-au-Prince/Jacmel Travel to Jacmel, tour the city, and watch the city come alive with carnival preparations. Visit a local grassroots project, the G Adventures-supported Art Creation Foundation for Children. In the evening, hit the town and take in the music and street parties as carnival kicks off.
Day 3: Jacmel Get into the heart of Jacmel's Carnival and take in the creativity and colours of giant papier-mâché masks, choreographed dance troupes, and local music at the annual Sunday parade. Learn about regional traditions, Haitian history, and local culture while reveling in the celebration.
Day 4: Jacmel Visit the breathtaking pools and cascades of Bassin-Bleu before capping off the day with a beach barbecue.
Day 5: Jacmel/Cap-Haïtien Drive back to Port-au-Prince before boarding a flight to Cap-Haïtien.
Day 6: Cap-Haïtien Visit the famous Citadelle Laferrière, a UNESCO-designated mountaintop fortress. After, visit the sugarcane fields and learn to make famous Haitian rum.
Day 7: Cap-Haïtien/Port-au-Prince Enjoy a walking tour around Cap-Haïtien including the cathedral and main city market. Learn to make kasav, a traditional food of the native Taino people. Fly to Port-au-Prince in the afternoon.
Day 8: Port-au-Prince Enjoy an included city tour focusing on Haitian history, culture and the vibrant local arts scene. Visit the Iron Market (Marché en Fer). Meet a Vodou priest at Noailles and see the fascinating iron-working community of Croix-des-Bouquets. Fill up on Creole cuisine and culture along the way.
Day 9: Port-au-Prince Depart at any time.