Guinean franc (GFr)
Budget: Less than GFr250,000
- Cheap hotel: GFr100,000
- Rice and sauce on street: GFr20,000
- Bush taxi Conakry to Labé: GFr100,000
- Midrange hotel in Conakry: GFr700,000
- Midrange hotel in countryside: GFr250,000
- Pizza: GFr80,000
- Trekking guide per day GFr70,000-200,000
Top End: More than Gfr1,500,000
- Hotel in Conakry: GFr1,200,000
- 3-course meal in Conakry GFr150,000
- 4WD rental GFr1,000,000+
For most transactions bargaining is not expected. Exceptions to this are any form of carving or art produced and sold by the handful of tourist-oriented craft shops. If renting a car, boat or other form of transport you should bargain, but expect the original asking price to be close to the final figure.
Bicigui This main bank branch claims to change travellers cheques, but doesn't always do so. The 24-hour ATM takes Visa and Mastercard.
ATMs at most bigger banks accept international Visa and Mastercards but most machines have a very low per-transaction limit – anything from GFr400,000 to GFr800,000
Most visitors bring cash in Euros (US dollars and CFA are also normally accepted; avoid UK pounds or any other currency) and change money quickly and easily on the street. Street changers line Ave de la République and areas around the airport. Be watchful for scammers if changing money on the street.