Information from G Adventures
Embark on a 17-day adventure that's packed with jungle and coastal adventure in Guatemala and Belize. Roam among the Mayan ruins at Tikal and swim off Belize’s islands and atolls. Hike across the foot of a volcano outside Antigua and sail between remote lakeside communities on Guatemala’s Lake Atitlán. Everyone's got an inner explorer; connect with yours in this exciting part of the world.
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Antigua Historical Walk, Antigua Guatemala Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Lakeside Cooking Class, Flores Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Howler Monkey Experience, San Ignacio Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Garifuna Drumming Lesson and Performance, Hopkins Your G for Good Moment: Lake Atitlán Boat Ride and Community Visit, Lago de Atitlán Your G for Good Moment: San Antonio Women's Cooperative visit with Pottery Class and Local Lunch, San Ignacio Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group Your Hands-On Moment: ChocoMuseo Tour and Workshop, Antigua Guatemala Your Discover Moment: San Ignacio Your Discover Moment: Caye Caulker
- Arrival transfer
- Walking tour of Antigua
- Visit to a chocolate museum and make your own chocolate
- Boat ride around Lake Atitlán
- Visit to San Juan la Laguna community for a local Mayan lunch and tree-planting ceremony
- Guatemalan cooking lesson
- Guided tours of the Mayan sites Tikal and Lamanai
- Visit to a women's co-operative with lunch and demos
- Visit to a hot sauce factory
- Drumming demonstration and lesson
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Take a walk through antigua's cobblestone streets with a historian guide
- Enjoy a cooking lesson with a local chef
- Enjoy a traditional cayo lunch at a women's cooperative in san antonio
- Learn how to drum with a lesson at the lebeha drumming center
Day 1: Guatemala City/Antigua Guatemala Arrive at the Guatemala City airport and transfer to hotel in Antigua.
Day 2: Antigua Guatemala Explore Antigua on a guided cultural walking tour with a historian, including City Hall, the convent, and the museums at Paseo de los Museos. Opt to take a volcano trek or excursion to a macadamia nut plantation or coffee farm.
Day 3: Antigua Guatemala/Jaibalito Travel today by van and boat to the village of Jaibalito on Lake Atitlán. Visit the communities on the lake by boat, including San Juan la Laguna, a G Adventures-supported village. Take an orientation walk, visit various co-ops, enjoy a local Mayan lunch and a Mayan tree-planting ceremony.
Day 4: Jaibalito Free time for outdoor pursuits such as fishing, hiking, bird watching, and kayaking.
Day 5: Jaibalito/Antigua Guatemala Return to Antigua and visit a chocolate museum to take a hands-on workshop to learn about the ancient Mayan process from bean to bar. Opt to take a salsa dance class.
Day 6: Antigua Guatemala/Flores Catch our flight to Flores in the Petén region of Guatemala. Enjoy a cooking lesson and lunch with a local chef on the shores of Lake Petén Itzá.
Day 7: Flores Take a guided tour of the famous Mayan ruins of Tikal, a UNESCO World Heritage site set in the heart of the jungle.
Day 8: Flores/Burrell Boom Cross the border into Belize and continue to the village of Burrell Boom.
Day 9: Burrell Boom Enjoy a full day excursion to the Lamanai ruins, a renowned Mayan ceremonial site consisting of over 800 structures surrounded by lush jungle. Return to our lodge to relax at the patio bar and pool, visit the spa, or walk the grounds to spot local wildlife.
Day 10: Burrell Boom/San Ignacio Drive to San Ignacio and visit the Community Baboon Sanctuary, co-founded by five-time National Geographic grantee Dr Robert Horwich. Learn about the black howler monkey before going on a rainforest walk to observe monkeys in the wild. After, visit a G Adventures-supported Cayo women's cooperative where we learn about the centuries-old tradition of throwing pots and tortilla making. Enjoy a local lunch before continuing on to our rainforest hotel.
Day 11: San Ignacio Enjoy two free days to visit the sites of the surrounding countryside. There are several activity options including an exploration of the Mayan cave of Actun Tunichil Muknal or ruins of Xunantunich, visiting the butterfly gardens, and tubing or canoeing through the natural limestone caves of the region.
Day 12: San Ignacio Enjoy two free days to visit the sites of the surrounding countryside. There are several activity options including an exploration of the Mayan cave of Actun Tunichil Muknal or ruins of Xunantunich, visiting the butterfly gardens, and tubing or canoeing through the natural limestone caves of the region.
Day 13: San Ignacio/Hopkins Travel to Hopkins on the coast and enjoy a visit to Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce Factory en route. Explore the fascinating Garifuna culture, take a drumming lesson, and enjoy a demonstration by these amazing artists.
Day 14: Hopkins Enjoy the day in the laid-back village of Hopkins. Opt to visit the palmed Tobacco Caye nearby and do some snorkelling, venture to a wildlife sanctuary, or explore the area by bicycle.
Day 15: Hopkins/Caye Caulker Drive up the coast and visit an animal conservation centre before catching the ferry to Caye Caulker, a true tropical paradise.
Day 16: Caye Caulker Enjoy the day with the option to join a full-day sailing and snorkelling trip to Hol Chan Marine Reserve and the Belize Barrier Reef, or just indulge in some serious R&R. In the evening, take part in a fun farewell dinner at a popular local restaurant.
Day 17: Caye Caulker Depart at any time.