Guatemala in detail
- Dress General standards of modesty in dress have relaxed somewhat. Coastal dwellers tend to show a lot more skin than highland types, but not all locals appreciate this type of attire.
- Entering a room In public places such as a restaurant or waiting room, make a general greeting to everyone – buenos días or buenas tardes will do.
- Greetings When meeting someone personally, men shake hands with men, women air-kiss women, and men and women may air-kiss or shake – wait to see if the woman offers her hand.
- Maya women Many Maya women avoid contact with foreign men. As a general rule, male travelers in need of information should ask another man.
- Photos Understandably, the Maya can be very sensitive about being photographed. Always ask for permission before taking pictures.