The church still plays a prominent role in shaping Cretans’ views, so homosexuality is generally frowned upon by many locals – especially outside major cities. It pays to be discreet.
- Although homosexuality is legal over the age of 17, Crete does not really have much of a gay, let alone lesbian, scene. There is no overtly gay nightlife and public displays of affection are frowned upon outside the cities.
- Hersonisos has the gay-owned and -oriented guesthouse Villa Ralfa (www.villaralfa.com). Many venues in Iraklio are quietly gay-friendly, as are relaxed resorts such as Paleohora and most nude beaches.
- The Spartacus International Gay Guide (www.spartacusworld.com/en), published by Bruno Gmünder (Berlin), is widely regarded as the leading authority on gay travel.
- The website www.gaygreece.gr has some information on cruising areas as well as gay-friendly bars and clubs.
- Popular international smartphone apps are also in use.