- Comprehensive travel insurance to cover theft, loss and medical problems is highly recommended.
- Some policies specifically exclude dangerous activities such as diving, motorcycling and even trekking; read the fine print.
- Check that the policy covers ambulances or an emergency flight home.
- Find out if your insurance plan makes payments directly to providers or reimburses you later.
- Paying for airline tickets or car hire with a credit card sometimes provides limited travel insurance – ask your credit-card company what it covers.
Worldwide travel insurance is available at www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance. You can buy, extend and claim online anytime – even if you’re already on the road.
Checking insurance quotes…