Travel with Children
Like most major German cities, Stuttgart is well geared up for families. There's plenty to appeal to kids, from free play in parks and gardens to museums and river cruises. Stuttgart Tourism (www.stuttgart-tourist.de) has a dedicated page for families, with details on kid-pleasing attractions from theme parks to wildlife reserves.
Kids either go free or get discounted admission to all the key sights and attractions. Baby food and changing facilities are widely available, and most hotels will happily squeeze a cot into a room for a nominal charge. Those under six years old travel free on public transport, while children aged six to 14 pay a reduced rate. Well-behaved children are welcome in most restaurants and some offer a Kinder-Menü to appeal to small appetites.
- Car Museums Speed across to the Porsche Museum and Mercedes-Benz Museum for motor-related fun.
- Fairy Tales Tots will love the cackling witches and damsels in distress at the Märchengarten in the grounds of Ludwigsburg's baroque Residenzschloss.
- Pig Encounters This little piggy went to the Schweinemuseum and found many other little piggies there.
- Star Gazing Stuttgart's Planetarium whisks the family into outer space – virtually, of course!
- Park Life The Schlossgarten has one of the best playgrounds in the city.
- Eye-popping Views Kids can pick out landmarks from the Fernsehturm as Stuttgart opens up like a pop-up book.
- River Cruises Boat trips along the Neckar with Neckar-Käpt’n are easy kid-pleasers on sunny days.
- Zoo Days Head to Wilhelma Zoologisch-Botanischer Garten for wondrous animals and botanical species.