Quedlinburg’s Historic Buildings
With so many historic buildings, Quedlinburg is one town in which it’s nice just to stroll the streets and soak up the atmosphere. The Rathaus (1320) dominates Markt, and in front of this is a Roland statue from 1426. Just behind the Rathaus is the Marktkirche St Benedikti (1233), and nearby is the Gildehaus zur Rose (1612) at Breite Strasse 39. Running off Markt is the tiny Schuhhof, a shoemakers’ courtyard, with shutters and stable-like ‘gossip doors’. Alter Klopstock (1580), which is found at Stieg 28, has scrolled beams typical of Quedlinburg’s 16th-century half-timbered houses.
From Stieg 28 (just north of Schuhhof), it’s a short walk north along Pölle to Zwischen den Städten, a historic bridge connecting the old town and Neustadt (new town), which developed alongside the town wall around 1200 when peasants fled a feudal power struggle on the land. Behind the Renaissance facade, tower and stone gables of the Hagensches Freihaus (1558) is now the Hotel Quedlinburger Stadtschloss. Many houses in this part of town have high archways and courtyards dotted with pigeon towers. A couple of other places of special note are the Hotel zur Goldenen Sonne building (1671) at Steinweg 11 and Zur Börse (1683) at No 23.