When to Go
High Season (Jul–Aug)
- Busy roads and long lines at key sights.
- Vacancies at a premium and higher prices in seaside and mountain resorts.
- Festivals celebrate everything from music to wine and sailing to samba.
Shoulder Season (Apr–Jun, Sep–Oct)
- Expect smaller crowds and lower prices, except on public holidays.
- Blooming, colourful flowers in spring and radiant foliage in autumn.
- Sunny, temperate weather that's ideal for outdoor pursuits and exploration.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- No queues but shorter hours at key sights, some of which may close for the season.
- Theatre, concert and opera season in full swing.
- Ski resorts busiest in January and February.